Tuesday, July 7, 2015

Dorsett Grand Chengdu- A Luxurious Hotel Experience to be Shared

China is bizarre. From giant Buddha structures to door-less toilets, they all leave me in awe. So goes the same for my accommodation during my 5-day trip to Chengdu. My stay was not of the bizarre variety but it was amazing enough that I would make it an attraction itself. My stay was arranged by the Dorsett Grand Chengdu (DGC). Every night, I immersed myself in comfort and luxury that left me smitten.
I swear I could do a cartwheel with that space
Unpretentiously upscale
DGC was brimming with hospitality the moment I landed on panda land. We were greeted by DGC personnel who tagged my bags and sent them straight to my room. The hotel transport came with wifi which immediately satisfied our Watsapp needs.

Dorsett Grand Chengdu personnel greeting us at airport
Wifi in the transport makes me happy
After 45 minutes, we reached DGC with cordial greetings from the staff. Our eyes reflected sparkles of the posh lobby. I took a breath of the classy ambiance. Beautiful chandeliers emanated soft hues of elegance. This 5-starred hotel is unpretentiously upscale with 42 storeys accommodating 556 rooms. I was excited to hear that I was going to share the same experience with international celebrities like Backstreet Boys and Fahrenheit who patronized the same hotel before.
DGC staff waited for our arrival and greeted us warmly
Beautiful chandelier
Lotus inspired motives
I was ushered to my Deluxe King Room and quickly made a few cartwheels around the room…in my mind. The room was very spacious. I felt half of my travel exhaustion relieved. The interior of the room is contemporarily Western yet maintaining the Eastern vibes with Chinese motives. The sight of the foot-thick mattress with white crisp sheets and plush pillows was disarming. At the side, there is also a smart working desk for those who cannot leave work behind. Each room includes free wifi, a panoramic view of the city, iPod dock, a safe and coffee/ tea making facilities. I unwound under the rain shower with toiletries of my favourite orange scent that was soothingly sweet. DGC toiletries are environmental friendly too. The bathroom with a luscious tub has a bay window overlooking Chengdu’s skyline. I must say that it was difficult leaving the bathroom with the night view of buildings illuminated.
Ushered right to my room
King sized bed just for me me me
Luscious bathroom
Love the orange scented toiletries
Chinese motives
Eastern inspired deco
Chinese painting
Chinese tea making facilities
Night scenery from my room
Lots of space invested in the interior
There was a convenient store and some food stalls down the road. But not wanting to depart with my luxurious room, I decided to order room service which was provided with great customer care. Being in foreign land, it is always comforting to know that your needs are priority. I fed myself and sunk my head in the pillows and was fast asleep.
Room service
Every room comes with a bay window
Morning came too soon. But, it is always worth it to wake up to a hearty breakfast. I woke up to a great start with breakfast buffet at Yue Rong Cafe at level 2. We were spoilt with a wide selection of local and international food. My favourites were their crispy waffles with maple syrup and yummy pork buns, washed down with warm soya milk. Waiters were very friendly and ready on their toes to serve. Yue Rong Cafe also serves lunch and dinner buffet. I had the opportunity to try the local favourite hand-pulled noodles in duck soup, the spicy Sichuan Dan Dan noodles and shredded noodles all acrobatically made right infront of my eyes. 

Friendly waiters at Yue Rong Cafe
The scrumptious buffet spread
Fruit juices to boost the day
My favourite matches for breakfast
Tried my hands at noodle making
Spicy dan dan noodles
Noodles freshly made in front of me
Shredded noodles
 If you are searching for fine Chinese dining, CDG will not fail to impress you. The Fu Yue Xuan Chinese Restaurant at level 6 is the perfect choice for both business and family dining. They offer the finest of Tan Fu, Cantonese and Sichuan cuisine that can whet local and international appetites. The artistically embellished dishes tasted as good as they look if not better. The prestigious restaurant is not only comfortable but exudes poise and style that enhanced the dining experience.
Fu Yue Xuan's elegent setting (Photo credits to Dorsett Grand Chengdu)
Food deco itself is credible- Flower is made of toufu with one wolfberry, floating in superior soup
Honey prawns
Goose liver in oats
Delicious wagyu beef
 I will always remember the hand-painted piano at the lounge which I used to admire while waiting for my friends at the lobby. It is a great place to catch up with friends over a drink or a slice of cake. There is also the self-service gym that is accessible with the room key which makes it open 24 hours. The fairly complete range of equipments allowed me to shed off the extra weight gained during the trip at any time of the day without compromise.
Hand painted piano
24-hour gym
I had the opportunity to look at the meeting and banquet facilities which can cater for small meetings to large conferences. There is a graceful ballroom that is pilarless- perfect for wedding fengshui. For locals who are searching for a place to hold their once-in-a-lifetime event, the DGC has an exclusive bridal dressing room furnished with sofas, restroom and vanity dressing tables that allows a cozy changing space for the bride and bridesmaids. Mah-jong rooms are also available to those who fancy a game or two or to make it an activity during their event.

Pillarless ballroom
Mahjong room
The DGC is situated atop metro lines 1 (Luomashi Station) and 4 offering convenience in both business and leisure. I made more time for shopping as the Chunxi Street was just a 15-minute walk away from the hotel. Good news to those who do not mind walking to beat the traffic, the Climbing Panda at the IFS shopping mall is also just a few streets away. Kuanzai Alley for more shopping is just a straight road ahead from the hotel. The hotel provided concierge and limo services as well as tourist maps and pamphlets to facilitate my travel.
The IFS mall
Shopping at Kuanzai Alley
China has redeemed herself in my eyes with this world class hotel. After my fourth night at the DGC, I had to leave Chengdu with a heavy heart. The top-notch hospitality from the hotel really made my stay at home away from home. I would like to thank the staffs of DGC for their ever-present smiles and warm service which will be imprinted in me till my next visit to Chengdu.
An experiential stay at Dorsett Grand Chengdu
This summer, Dorsett Hospitality International offers families the chance to make their holiday budget go even further. Visitors can book 2 rooms at any hotels in Hong Kong, Singapore, China, London and Malaysia between 15th June to 30th September 2015 and enjoy 50% off the second room. As parents enjoy the savings on accommodation, children under 16 years of age will receive a cuddly Dorsett teddy bear who can accompany them on their holiday and a Dorsett backpack which comes with selected children’s amenities which they can fill with treasures accumulated along the way.

For more information, kindly visit:

Dorsett Grand Chengdu

Website: www.dorsetthotels.com/chengdu
Facebook:

Disclaimer:
This trip is courtesy of Sarah Mai from www.smallnhot.com
Check out www.smallnhot.com/2015/07/dorsett-grand-chengdu-hotel-hospitality-review-chengdu-china.html


1 comment:

  1. After reading your hotel experience blog, It feels like I was in that hotel too. Nice one :) Cheers!

    ReplyDelete